Monday 30 September 2013

BYRON, FULHAM BROADWAY

I woke up this morning with such good intentions to be healthier this week - lots of gym trips, no wine, lots of soup & fish and no eating in between meals....I started well & did a body attack class at the gym which was hardcore but excellent however when I returned home my fiance suggested we go out for lunch....so all the good intentions flew straight out the window.

Because I don't like to do things by halves we decided to go to the newish Byron Burger in Fulham Broadway. I have had a couple of Byrons in the past but it was several years ago. Two of my very very good friends reckon that Byron burgers are the best you can get - I was unsure as I was never blown away or rushed back to have one, so I decided to give it another go.

Fulham Broadway's Byron certainly looks the part - lovely dark booths, a huge chandelier, marble tables & prompt service with a smile. I was also a huge fan of the menu - burgers with various toppings, chicken or veggie burgers & then plenty of very appealing sides. 

http://www.byronhamburgers.com/menu/

Being absolute piggies we went to town - we both had the special burger of the month - le smokey burger - which came with wafer thin bacon, smoked cheddar cheese, fried onions, shredded lettuce and pickles. We declined the chilli BBQ sauce and had mayonnaise instead. We were so tempted by all the sides that we ordered the iceberg wedge with blue cheese & bacon, the macaroni cheese, onion rings & fries - obviously no point in holding back!!

After much anticipation it soon arrived...



The burger certainly looked good - soft bun & lots of toppings but still able to fit in your mouth - Pascal really enjoyed his - however it just did not do it for me. I thought the bun was a bit dry and too thick & the burger too meaty - this probably sounds completely strange as burgers are meat but I found the taste too overpowering. Obviously I finished it all but it was not my best in anyway (sorry Corrie & Ceri)!!

The iceberg wedge on the other hand was delicious.


Plenty of blue cheese yet not too much that the lettuce is drowning in it & lots of crispy bacon - the iceberg wedge itself was fresh and crunchy - Pascal & I practically licked the plate clean (I even used the chips to soak up any left over sauce)!

The onion rings were another favourite of mine although Pascal found them a little greasy.


There was not too much batter yet full of flavour.

I was also a big fan of the fries - for once I didn't have to add a mountain of salt - they were some of the best chips I have had (although at 540 calories for a small bowl I should bloody hope so)!


Finally there was the macaroni cheese - the only way I could describe this is rubbish :-(


It certainly looked good and had a great amount of cheese but it was really bland - it is definitely missing something - maybe they don't salt the pasta? It had no flavour whatsoever & for the first time in my life I did not finish it - such a disappointment.

There was a great selection of puddings and milkshakes on the menu but we were too stuffed to eat anymore. 

So what's my verdict - I think the restaurant is a great concept, it is all very reasonably priced and I like the way you order your burgers from the table rather than going up to a counter like in Shake Shack or Five Guys. BUT I didn't rate the food very highly....maybe I was expecting too much as I guess this is the burger equivalent of pizza express. Byron is hugely popular & the restaurants are everywhere - there are 29 in London alone. Lots of people I know love it but unfortunately it did not rock my boat.


11 Bank Buildings
Fulham Broadway
London
SW6 1EP
Tel: 020 7610 3807

Square Meal

No comments:

Post a Comment