Saturday 7 September 2013

ROASTED TOMATO & GOATS CHEESE TART


Our family love a tart! Originally I was scared to try and cook one, as I did not know that you could easily buy puff pastry – once I discovered that tarts have become a regular supper fixture. They are so easy and providing you don't gobble it up at once, can easily be reheated the next day.

There are many different types you can cook but this is what we did for lunch the other day – it was so good we all had seconds & polished it all off. We served it with a green salad.

Ingredients for 4 people:

Jus Rol Puff Pastry (the green one – 320g)
3 tablespoons of Pesto (Basil or Tomato)
250g Goats Cheese sliced
3/4 tomatoes sliced
1 teaspoon of fresh thyme roughly chopped (I used dry thyme which worked fine but fresh would probably taste better)
2 tablespoons of fresh basil


Take the pastry out of the fridge 10 minutes before you use it. I take it out the fridge while I am cutting the tomatoes & cheese etc.

Preheat the oven to 200C / gas mark 6.

Roll out the pastry into your baking dish and place it on a large, greased sheet of baking paper.

Score a line about 2cm in from the edge of the pastry as this will form a “lip” around the tart when it is cooking. I will admit mine is never particularly even!

Spread the pesto over the inner square of the pastry.  You can use either basil pesto or tomato pesto and it does not need to be fresh – I generally use the Sacla jars. Then place the cheese slices on top and add the tomato slices over the cheese in an even layer. Finally scatter with the thyme and season.


Place in the oven and cook for around 25-30 minutes until the pastry is well risen, golden and cooked underneath, scatter with basil and then tuck on in!



There are so many different tarts you can do – another favourite of ours is mozzarella, ham & tomato or smoked salmon, dill and goats cheese or mushroom, bacon and goats cheese or chorizo, caramelised onion & blue cheese. The next one I want to try and make is feta with roasted vegetables – I will let you know it is works - and I would love to hear any recommendations you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment