Thursday 26 September 2013

THE GYM - BODY PUMP


I thought it might be time to update the exercise section seeing as it is still completely blank!!!

Due to the huge amount I eat and drink I have to go to the gym regularly otherwise I would be the size of a house. I kind of go with the theory that if I exercise a few times a week I should be able to maintain my weight (more or less).

I really notice the difference when I eat like a piglet and don’t move a muscle (aka Lanzarote May 2013 – a 7lb weight gain in 2 weeks) and then the other side of the spectrum when I eat like an anorexic and exercise like mad (a 10lb weight loss in Jan / Feb) – unfortunately this was impossible to keep up & so incredibly boring!!

I would say probably 98% of people I know HATE exercise – I try to do about 4-5 classes at the gym a week which might sound totally insane but I have turned exercise into a habit – you just need to get over the first hurdle of starting.

I put my gym clothes on in the morning for the school run (quicker than thinking about what to wear) so then I feel I have to go & work out - although there have been times when I have gone back to bed in said gym clothes! This also means during the holidays when there is no school run my gym going is pretty non existent.

If you are a member of a gym, I would definitely recommend trying out some classes – group mentality can really spur you on. I know it can be scary being new but you normally get over that pretty quickly as you are too busy following the steps and trying not to make a tit of yourself. The classes I have been to are such a mix of men and women aged from about 20 – 75, they are all shapes and sizes and different fitness abilities, so it is unlikely you will feel the odd one out.

For me the best thing about exercise if the feeling after – the endorphins, the proudness, and even the sweatiness makes you feel fantastic plus you can then eat a burger or pizza or both (I hear you can now get a pizzaburger?) without feeling guilty.

One of the classes I would recommend is Body Pump.

This is my favourite class – you use barbells, plates and steps, and do set routines to a pumped-up soundtrack. This class challenges the whole body & is 20% cardio, 70% strength & 10% mind & body.

You aren’t running around like a lunatic but the class still makes you sweat & out of breath – I did it this morning and my elbows were even sweating – grim!! Each track works a different body part – you warm up with your lightest weights on the bar & then after than you work your back, chest, bottom, legs, triceps, biceps, shoulders & finally abdominals. The music is generally pretty good and up to date and you get to work on your muscles – and the more muscle you have the quicker you burn calories – so more food & wine!!! According to my fitness pal - I burn off about 475 calories for an hour class - that is nearly a Big Mac which isn't bad at all.

Benefits include:
•                It will improve your strength
•                LOTS of repetitions
•                It will improve your general fitness
•                It will shape and tone your muscles
•                It will protect your bones and joints from injury
•                It gets you into shape fast
•                You will feel confident

Have a go & let me know what it is like…..

No comments:

Post a Comment