Wednesday 9 October 2013

PRAWN SAGANAKI

It is that time of the week again when I am cooking fish - Arabella wanted the Greek Sea Bass Fillets from last week but I was keen to try something new. I found this recipe in a magazine and I have no idea what saganaki is but it looks good and is simple to make. One of my favourite meals at Cote Brasserie (Menu) is the Prawn Gratinee which is prawns in a tomato, garlic and white wine sauce - similar to this but this recipe includes cheese!

Ingredients for 2 people:

2 tbsp of olive oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
400g chopped tomatoes
1 red chilli sliced (this is optional - we don't like spice so didn't add it)
2 tbsp thyme leaves plus a few extra to garnish
60g Greek Feta (I actually used over double this - about 140g because I am a cheese addict)!
250g raw king prawns
Crusty white bread


Start off by preheating the oven to 200C / 180C fan / gas mark 6.

While this is warming up, heat the oil in a small casserole dish or ovenproof pan over a medium-high heat and then saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes (2-3) until they start to soften. Then add the tomatoes, thyme and chilli (optional) and simmer for five minutes.

The recipe says to crumble the feta over the top - I just chopped the feta and spooned it over for ease factor. Bake it in the oven for 10 minutes until the sauce thickens and the cheese begins to melt. 


Stir in the prawns and then cook in the oven for a further 5 minutes until the prawns are pink and cooked through and that is it - easy!


Scatter with a few extra thyme leaves and serve with crusty white bread (and butter if you are like us)! 


I absolutely loved this - as did Arabella. I adore prawns, they are low in fat and calories yet full of protein and taste delicious and go so well with the tomato and feta sauce. Pascal was not so keen on this recipe as he doesn't particularly like fish and he prefers more simple meals without sauce (the complete opposite to me)! He managed to eat his bowl with the help of lots of bread and butter (no longer the healthy meal I envisaged).

Without the bread and butter this meal is around 380 calories per serving so could also work well as a lunch or if you didn't want bread and butter but wanted to bulk it up, you could add rice or pasta.

I promised Arabella that I will definitely cook this for her again and I have promised Pascal I will never cook this for him again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment