Saturday 26 April 2014

MEDITERRANEAN STUFFED PEPPERS

When I opened my new Fay Ripley cookbook for the first time, this is the recipe that jumped out at me the most - I am obsessed with Mediterranean flavours such as falafel, feta, sun-dried tomatoes and basil. The only thing missing here is a dollop of hummus!! 

I have a feeling this is a recipe that will be cooked over and over again as a lunch or light supper on their own or as a side to meat or fish. We had these on Easter Sunday as an accompaniment to our Roast Leg of Lamb and I would really recommend it.

Ingredients for 2 people:

2 large red peppers
200g tin green lentils, drained and rinsed (I googled why you do this and apparently it is to remove any "funk")!
6 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and finely chopped
15g fresh basil, leaves chopped
100g feta
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
4 ready made falafel balls



Preheat the oven to 180 C fan / 200 C / gas mark 6.

Half and deseed the peppers - you want to try and cut them through the middle and through the stalks.



Chop the feta, basil and sun-dried tomatoes and drain and rinse the lentils.



Then mix altogether in a bowl with the olive oil, vinegar and season (I could just eat this).



Fill the peppers with the mix….my peppers weren't big enough for me!!



To make the falafel breadcrumbs you can blitz them in a food processor but I just crumbled them with my fingers over the peppers so there was minimal washing up!! Very lazy I know but it was "basically" the same…



Bake in the oven for 35 minutes. If the breadcrumbs start getting too dark, cover with foil halfway through (I did this).

Then serve and enjoy!




These were just as good as I imagined and I absolutely loved them. This was the perfect meal and I can't wait to do it again soon. They would also make a great veggie option at a dinner party too.

No comments:

Post a Comment