Thursday 19 March 2015

TOMATO & PANCETTA RISOTTO

After cooking my oven baked risotto with pesto and goat's cheese last week, I now have quite a bit of leftover risotto rice in my cupboard. Being a complete neat freak, I now want to use up the remainder of the rice so expect to see a few more risotto recipes this month! I have been wanting to cook this particular one for quite a while - it is from Fay Ripley's first ever cook book although I have adapted it slightly.

I made this for just Arabella and I, however here is the recipe for 4 people:

Ingredients for 4 people:

1 onion, finely chopped
300g pancetta
25g butter
A splash of olive oil
250g risotto rice
850ml chicken stock (I used vegetable)
250ml tomato passata
4 tbsp Parmesan, grated



This is a super easy recipe!

In a saucepan, add the butter and a splash of oil. My dad used to like using both when cooking!



Add the onion and pancetta and cook for around 10 minutes until the onion is soft and the pancetta cooked.



Add the rice and stir for a minute or two.




Turn up the heat and add the stock and passata.



Mix together and then bring to the boil.



Stir once and then turn the heat down to a simmer. Put a lid on the saucepan and leave for 15-20 minutes. I stirred a couple of times as the rice was sticking a little.

When it is ready and the liquid is absorbed, leave to sit for 5 minutes - don't forget this part as this meant that the rice became a lot less sticky at the bottom of the pan!



Finally serve with some grated Parmesan cheese.



I was extremely surprised at how amazing this was - I wasn't expecting to love this but I really did. Arabella added a touch of her favourite goat's cheese to her bowl and this worked really well. Fay recommends adding peas or popping some seared tuna on top. I have to say it worked so well on it's own, I am of the view - if it ain't broke, don't fix! A fabulous, quickish easy dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment