Saturday 6 June 2015

CHOCOLATE & GOLDEN SYRUP FLAPJACKS

My daughter Arabella made flapjacks at school a few months ago and they were so delicious that I demolished the lot. Ever since then I have been meaning to make them myself but I have been distracted by my chocolate millionaire shortbread which I seem to make weekly. However I decided to make them this week as an after school snack for Arabella.

This is a very simple Jamie Oliver recipe and it took about 35 minutes plus chilling time.

Ingredients for 12 - 16 portions: 

150g butter
75g light brown soft sugar
3 tbsp golden syrup
250g rolled oats (porridge oats) - (I use the same oats as I do for my fruit, nut and chocolate granola)
350g milk chocolate (you could use dark or white if you prefer or a combination)


Preheat the oven to 180 C / 160 C fan / gas mark 4.

Grease and line a shallow 20cm (or thereabouts) square tin with baking paper.

Put the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan over a low heat and stir until melted.



Stir in the oats and mix together.



Pour into the baking tin and press the mixture firmly with a back on the spoon so it is compact and even.


Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden round the edges.


Leave to cool for at least 10 minutes or so.

Break the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of boiling water.



Pour over the flapjacks (my husband Pascal did this - hence the complete mess)!


Leave to set for a few hours and then it is time to eat!


This was delicious - it really tasted homemade and comforting and most importantly a real treat. It is not the healthiest snack but it is not the worst either…. you could always do it with less chocolate or even none at all. I would have loved to add raisins or little bits of apricot but Arabella hates them and prefers to keep it simple….maybe next time I will do half for her and half for me. I am not complaining though as it was great how it was. I think I will be having some from breakfast tomorrow!

It will keep for at least a week in an airtight container.


No comments:

Post a Comment