Thursday 5 November 2015

ELLA'S ULTIMATE ENERGY BITES

I am pretty late jumping on the Deliciously Ella bandwagon - I follow her on Instagram, admire her photos and have even bought her book for several friends - yet I have never cooked any of her recipes myself…..until now!! 

I think Arabella and I eat far too much refined sugar - both of us love an after dinner treat of ice cream, chocolate or haribo. However I am now making sure we don't have any refined sugar during the day for example no biscuits as an afternoon snack. I decided to give these energy balls a go….I literally had to buy every single ingredient! They took about 10 minutes in total to make.

Ingredients for 15-20 balls depending on size:

175g medjool dates
95g almonds (I actually rounded this up to 100g)
95g walnuts or any other kind of nut (I actually rounded this up to 100g)
2 tbsp of chia seeds
2 tbsp of ground flax seed
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp hemp protein powder
1 tbsp of raw cacao powder



These were really easy and simple to prepare.

In a food processor, add the almonds, walnuts, ground flax seed and chia seeds. Blend for one minute until a flour forms and the nuts are crumbled. I cheated a little and used pre-ground almonds.




Then add all the other ingredients, remembering to pit the dates beforehand, and blend it all again until a dough forms.




Use your hands to make little balls, place in a bowl/plate and then store in the fridge….I made the mistake of eating the mixture just with a spoon and then couldn't stop!





These are really good and taste delicious - they actually taste like a treat even though there are no refined sugars. They aren't haribo tangtastics but they hit the spot. Perfect for a morning or afternoon snack and both adult and kid friendly…..plus I felt extremely virtuous and healthy eating them!! This definitely won't be the last Deliciously Ella recipe I make - I am keen to try the sweet potato brownies next and see whether Arabella notices the difference!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment