Sunday 24 January 2016

CRISPY FRIED CHICKEN

After my delicious southern fried chicken at the restaurant The Lockhart last weekend, I remembered I had a recipe for crispy fried chicken burgers which I had not cooked for a long time. I used to love the chicken burgers at MacDonald's in my youth but haven't had one in years - my tastebuds have changed nowadays though - as rather than having the chicken in a bun with mayonnaise and lettuce I preferred it with a side of cheesy coleslaw. These were really easy to make and took about 20 minutes.

Ingredients for 2 people:

2 chicken breasts
150g panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 beaten egg
1 teaspoon smoked paprika (I used just normal paprika)
1 teaspoon black pepper
A pinch of salt

To serve:
Cheese slices
Cheesy Coleslaw

Or alternatively:
2 burger baps
2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
Half a beef tomato, sliced
Shredded iceberg lettuce
1 dill pickles, sliced
A quarter of a red onion, sliced



Preheat the oven to 180 C / gas mark 5.

Place the chicken breasts on a chopping board and cover with cling film. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, beat the chicken to flatten it out.




Set up three plates on your work top. On the first plate add the flour, paprika, black pepper and salt and mix to combine. On the second plate, add the beaten egg with a splash of water. Finally on the third plate, add the breadcrumbs.



Take the flattened chicken and dip first into the flour mix, next the egg and then the breadcrumbs. I used tongs as this was a really messy process and I tried to cover the chicken with the ingredients as much as possible.






Heat a non stick frying pan to a medium heat, add a splash of oil and add the chicken pieces. Cook for about 1 minute on each side and then transfer to a baking tray. Place in a preheated oven and cook for 10 minutes.





After 10 minutes, check the chicken is cooked properly by cutting into it. It should be done. Then add the cheese slices. I forgot to buy some - doh - so I had to slice up some Gruyere for me and goats cheese for Arabella - she wasn't complaining!! Cook for a further two minutes until the cheese melts.



If you are serving with buns, use this time to toast them and then spread with mayonnaise and fill with shredded lettuce, sliced tomato, red onion, finally the top with the chicken. I just serve mine on a plate with some cheesy coleslaw for me and cucumber for Arabella.





A really simple meal and extremely tasty. I sometimes find chicken quite boring and bland but this certainly wasn't the case here - it would have been better for me if I had proper cheese slices however Arabella loved her one with the goat's cheese. She has already asked if we can have this meal again. Definitely a healthier and more nutritious way to have a chicken burger!!

No comments:

Post a Comment