Wednesday 27 January 2016

SALMON AND PEA FILO PARCELS

I love filo pastry but I have never actually cooked with it or even bought it before. My first surprise was that it was frozen and then my second surprise was how messy and flimsy it is - I made a right old pig's ear of it!! Anyway practise makes perfect and I soon got the hang of it….cue this could be the start of many filo recipes…I can't wait to do something with feta and spinach!

Anyway this is a recipe card from Sainsbury's and is especially for kids. It took just over 45 minutes in total.

Ingredients for 12 parcels - I think an adult would eat 3 and a child 2:

240g boneless salmon fillets
1 medium egg, beaten
125g full fat soft cheese
1/4 x 28g flat leaf parsley, chopped (I actually used dill)
6 sheets of ready rolled filo pastry, cut in half
150g frozen petit pois
2 tbsp olive oil
335g cherry tomatoes
200g pack of green vegetables like fine beans or sugar snaps




Preheat the oven to 190 C, 170 C fan, gas mark 5.

Fill a saucepan with boiling water, add the salmon fillets and simmer for 5 minutes.




Next drain the salmon and let it cool slightly before removing the skin.


Flake into a bowl and mix with the egg, soft cheese, parsley (dill in my case) and the frozen peas and mix well. Don't forget to season generously.





Cut the 6 sheets of filo pastry in half. Take one half at a time, brush with olive oil and then fold in half again. Put 2 tablespoons of the salmon mixture into the centre of the filo pastry, brush the edges with oil and then fold the pastry up and twist like a parcel. This is much easier if you don't overload each parcel with filling. Repeat this with the remaining filo sheets and salmon mixture. Put them on a baking tray and brush with oil once again.





Put the tomatoes on another baking tray and put in the oven with the salmon parcels and bake for 25 minutes. Leave to cool a little.




Five minutes before the salmon parcels and tomatoes are ready, cook your vegetables according to the packet's instructions. Mine took 4 minutes in a saucepan of boiling water.




Divide the salmon parcels, tomatoes and vegetables between the plates and tuck in. I would suggest two parcels for a child and three for an adult.


Arabella adored these however I found them a little bland. Next time I would add some chopped sun dried tomatoes to the parcels as well to add a little more flavour - then they would be perfect for me. It was a nice different way to cook salmon however you could use any boneless white fish as an alternative instead. A great kid friendly supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment