Thursday 21 January 2016

THE LOCKHART, MARYLEBONE

I would love to take another gap year and do a road trip across America and in particular spend time in the Deep South, Nashville, New Orleans etc. Unfortunately this isn't going to happen any time soon (probably for the best as I would come back obese) so I have had to settle for the next best thing - eating at The Lockhart in Marylebone. The chef hails from Mississippi and serves a variety of food from the Southern States…..think chicken fried cheese curds, shrimps and grits….stuff my dreams are made from!

The restaurant doesn't particularly look American and instead has a countryside antique fresh feel to it, plus it was warm and quiet - a sanctum of peace after braving the Lumiere London festival!

I had seen online that the place is famous for it's cornbread which takes 15 minutes to bake so we ordered this immediately along with our drinks whilst we perused the menu. Pascal ordered a very nice cocktail called sour smoke with mezcal, lemon lime and egg white.



I was more interested in the cornbread! This came to the table bubbling hot and tasted both savoury and sweet. An impressive start to the meal.


The cornbread was pretty big and so we shared some starters - firstly a delicious wedge salad with bacon, chopped egg and buttermilk ranch dressing. I was originally a little disappointed it wasn't a blue cheese dressing however I am now a ranch dressing convert - it was so tasty and much lighter than I was expecting. My only regret was ordering the starter size and not the main.


We also shared the charcuterie platter of pork and venison summer sausage, tasso ham, coffee cured lonza, dill pickle, fermented watermelon radish and pickled okra - a really original selection and the pork and venison sausage was out of this world!



For mains Pascal had the smoked Jacobs ladder short rib with creamed corn and pickled red cabbage. The short rib was incredible - the meat melted in your mouth and was really flavoursome - however Pascal was not a fan of the pickled red cabbage, he would have preferred some mash or fries.



I went for the southern fried chicken with a side of coleslaw and cheese grits - I was literally in Heaven. Pascal found them a bit greasy but I adored it all, I love southern fried chicken. I always lust after the thought of a KFC however in reality I have never had it as I always imagine the kitchens to be super dirty!! The chicken fell off the bone, the cheese grits were cheesy and warming - I wish they served them in more restaurants - and the coleslaw very fresh and light. A fantastic combination.





We were too full for pudding - shame as I was very temped by the lemon meringue pie - next time, as I will definitely be back. Maybe for lunch next time as their lunch menu is slightly different and I am keen to try the muffaletta sandwich.

Great food, friendly efficient service, reasonably priced and I absolutely loved the fact the restaurant wasn't too noisy and Pascal and I could have a conversation without shouting at each other across the table - a novelty in London nowadays. 10 out of 10.

The Lockhart

22-24 Seymour Place,
London
W1H 7NL
Tel: 020 3011 5400
Email: info@lockhartlondon.com

Square Meal
The Lockhart Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment