Monday 22 May 2017

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE TOBLERONE COOKIES

My lovely ex mother in law came for tea last week and so I wanted to bake something yummy. I initially chose to make a carrot cake but I then decided that it wasn't the best idea as I would no doubt eat the whole thing and I need to get into a bikini in less than a week. So instead my daughter Bella chose this cookie recipe. 

I love Toblerone - it was my dad's favourite and so reminds me of him. One summer, I had a friend staying at our holiday home with us and she ate the last piece of Toblerone....my dad was really cross and shouted at her....it was very very embarrassing!! Thankfully this recipe makes more than enough cookies to share and it took around 30 minutes plus an extra 30 minutes chilling time.

Ingredients for 16 cookies:

2 x 100g bars of milk chocolate Toblerone
100g milk chocolate, chopped
50g unsalted butter, softened
100g soft light brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
50g ground almonds
1 tbsp whole milk


Break 8 triangles off one Toblerone and cut each in half so you have 16 triangles. Put them in the fridge to chill. Chop the rest into small chunks. Try not to eat the chocolate (I struggled with this part)!




Beat the butter and sugar until pale and light. Mine didn't look that light but I figured that is because the sugar is brown and when I normally beat sugar and butter, I use white sugar. Gradually add the beaten egg and then the vanilla extract.








Meanwhile melt the milk chocolate either in a microwave or in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.




Add the melted chocolate to the butter and sugar mixture and mix until smooth. Next sift the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt over the mixture and combine.







Finally add the ground almonds, chopped Toblerone and milk and mix well. Then cover with cling and chill until firm (about 30 minutes).




Preheat the oven to 180 C / fan 160 C / gas mark 4. Cover a solid baking sheet with baking paper (I had to use two baking trays). 

On a chopping board, scoop a heaped teaspoon of the dough into your hand and roll into a rough ball. Repeat with all the remaining cookie dough until it is all used up. You ideally want 16 balls. Place them on your baking sheet / tray, spacing the balls well apart. I thought I had done but mine could have been even more spread out (as you can see from the picture). Once the dough balls are on the baking tray, press down lightly and then sit a triangle of Toblerone on each.




Bake for around 12 minutes or until the top is firm but not crisp. I thought mine did not look ready and so left them for another couple of minutes but then they were a little too crispy. A reminder for me to always follow the recipe! 



My cookies were HUGE and I was not complaining. They were absolutely delicious, chewy, very chocolatey, slightly crisp and extremely moreish. I am pleased to say they went down well with the whole family - a little too well with me which is not good for the bikini body!


Nutrition Facts Widget Image

No comments:

Post a Comment